Search This Blog

Saturday 8 August 2015

Singapore's 1940s teenage weightlifting beauty queen

To be both a beauty queen and a champion weightlifter is not unheard of nowadays, but in 1940s Singapore it was a very unusual path for a young girl. Ho Lye Toh was a teenager who could lift weights of up to 100kg (220lb). Now 92, she might be Singapore's most famous nonagenarian after her remarkable life story surfaced in an article earlier this year and enraptured the city. Her father was Ho Peng Khoen, a school teacher and former Malayan weightlifting champion. In 1941, he made a decision that changed her life. "I was 14 and I fell sick quite often, sometimes so bad that I would pass out. So my father decided I should begin exercising to build body strength," Madam Ho said. "He was the reason I got started on weightlifting. He taught me how to press and pull weights and dumbbells and I did that every evening after I came back from school."READ MORE-http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-33750637Madam Ho lifts weights during an earlier training session

No comments:

Post a Comment